WM8958: Multi-channel CODEC with 3 digital audio interfaces and speaker-enhancement DSP
The WM8958 is a highly integrated ultra-low power hi-fi CODEC designed for smartphones and other portable devices rich in multimedia features.
An integrated stereo class D/AB speaker driver and class W headphone driver minimize power consumption during audio playback.
The device requires only two voltage supplies, with all other internal supply rails generated from integrated LDOs.
Stereo full duplex asynchronous sample rate conversion and multi-channel digital mixing combined with powerful analogue mixing allow the device to support a huge range of different architectures and use cases.
A multiband compressor and programmable parametric EQ provide volume maximisation and speaker compensation in the digital playback paths. The dynamic range controller can be used in record or playback paths for maintaining a constant signal level, maximizing loudness and protecting speakers against overloading and clipping.
A smart digital microphone interface provides power regulation, a low jitter clock output and decimation filters for up to four digital microphones. A MIC activity detect with interrupt is available.
Active ground loop noise rejection and DC offset correction help prevent pop noise and suppress ground noise on the headphone outputs.
24-bit 4-channel hi-fi DAC and 2-channel hi-fi ADC
100dB SNR during DAC playback (‘A’ weighted)
Smart MIC interface
- Power, clocking and data input for up to four digital MICs
- High performance analogue MIC interface
- MIC activity detect & interrupt allows processor to sleep
2W stereo (2x2W) class D/AB speaker driver
Capless Class W headphone drivers
- Integrated charge pump
- 5.3mW total power for DAC playback to headphones
4 Line outputs (single-ended or differential)
BTL Earpiece driver
Digital audio interfaces for multi-processor architecture
- Asynchronous stereo duplex sample rate conversion
- Powerful mixing and digital loopback functions
ReTune™ Mobile 5-band, 6-channel parametric EQ
Multiband compressor and dynamic range controller
Dual FLL provides all necessary clocks
- Self-clocking modes allow processor to sleep
- All standard sample rates from 8kHz to 96kHz
Active noise reduction circuits
- DC offset correction removes pops and clicks
- Ground loop noise cancellation
Integrated LDO regulators
72-ball W-CSP package (4.516 x 4.258 x 0.698mm)
Ordering & Samples
- Speaker Selection for Class D Output Drivers
- Impedance Compensation (Zobel Network) for Ground Referenced Outputs
- External Component Requirements for Ground Referenced Outputs
- DRC Operation in Wolfson Audio CODECs, Rev 1.0
- Guidelines on How to Use W-CSP Packages and Create Associated PCB Footprints
- I2S USB Audio Streaming, Rev 1.0
- Decoupling and Layout Methodology for Wolfson DACs, ADCs and CODECs, Rev 1.1