WM8996: Multi-channel CODEC with 2 digital audio interfaces
The WM8996 is an ultra-low power mobile CODEC designed for music phones requiring high quality voice and music playback.
Four DAC channels and four ground-referenced class W output drivers provide interfaces to a headset connector, earpiece or line output. Ground loop feedback is employed to reduce common mode noise on these outputs.
An advanced micro-power accessory interface provides plug-in / removal and hookswitch button press detection with support for up to seven buttons in parallel with the headset microphone. Load impedance sensing circuits provide support for a wide range of 3.5mm accessory types, including AV connectors.
The digital core is highly optimised to produce very high quality sidetones with low latency filters supporting both wideband and narrowband voice sample rates. Programmable filtering, equalisation and dynamic range control are also available in the record and playback paths. Flexible DAC mixing options are provided to all outputs.
The device integrates PDM interfaces for digital microphones and digital speaker amplifiers.
A MICBIAS with a dedicated LDO provides exceptionally high PSRR and low noise microphone amplifiers provide up to 30dB of gain in the ADC path.
The WM8996 is supplied in a 3.24 x 3.56 x 0.7mm W-CSP package, ideal for portable systems.
- 4-channel DAC with 99dB SNR ('A' weighted)
- Four Class W ground-referenced headphone/line outputs
- 4-channel PDM digital inputs (digital microphone support)
- 2-channel PDM digital outputs (digital speaker amp support)
Advanced 3.5mm accessory interface
- Up to seven headset buttons supported
- Accessory type detection and load impedance sense
- Ultra-low power plug-in detect and button monitor
- MICBIAS with dedicated LDO for ultra-high PSRR
Programmable digital audio interface
- All standard data formats supported
- Multi-channel mixed rate TDM support
- Standard sample rates up to 48kHz
- Second interface to allow data pass-through
- 5mW total power consumption in playback mode
Low power FLL
- Provides all necessary internal clocks
- 32kHz to 34MHz input frequency support
- 2-wire control interface
- 54-pin W-CSP package (3.24 x 3.56 x 0.58mm, 0.4mm pitch)
Ordering & Samples
To request a copy of the datasheet, please contact us