WM8988: Low Power CODEC with Headphone Driver
The WM8988 is a low power, high quality stereo CODEC designed for portable digital audio applications.
The device integrates complete interfaces to 2 stereo headphone or line out ports. External component requirements are drastically reduced as no separate headphone amplifiers are required. Advanced on-chip digital signal processing performs graphic equaliser, 3-D sound enhancement and automatic level control for the microphone or line input.
The WM8988 can operate as a master or a slave, with various master clock frequencies including 12 or 24MHz for USB devices, or standard 256fs rates like 12.288MHz and 24.576MHz. Different audio sample rates such as 96kHz, 48kHz, 44.1kHz are generated directly from the master clock without the need for an external PLL.
The WM8988 operates at supply voltages down to 1.8V, although the digital core can operate at voltages down to 1.42V to save power, and the maximum for all supplies is 3.6 Volts. Different sections of the chip can also be powered down under software control.
The WM8988 is supplied in a very small and thin 4x4mm COL package, ideal for use in hand-held and portable systems.
- DAC SNR 100dB (‘A’ weighted), THD –90dB at 48kHz, 3.3V
- ADC SNR 93dB (‘A’ weighted), THD -81dB at 48kHz, 3.3V
- Programmable ALC / Noise Gate
2x On-chip Headphone Drivers
- >40mW output power on 16ohm / 3.3V
- THD –80dB at 20mW, SNR 90dB with 16ohm load
- Digital Graphic Equaliser
- 7mW stereo playback (1.8V / 1.5V supplies)
- 14mW record and playback (1.8V / 1.5V supplies)
Low Supply Voltages
- Analogue 1.8V to 3.6V
- Digital core: 1.42V to 3.6V
- Digital I/O: 1.8V to 3.6V
- 256fs / 384fs or USB master clock rates: 12MHz, 24MHz
- Audio sample rates: 8, 11.025, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96kHz generated internally from master clock
- 4x4mm COL package
Ordering & Samples
- Improving the PSRR in Wolfson CODECs
- Decoupling and Layout Methodology for Wolfson DACs, ADCs and CODECs, Rev 1.1